It’s hard to determine the level of change in my body from one day to the next. Change happens when you’re not looking, right? The way the moon rises, or the way a snail moves across a leaf. So things feel different from the inside—feet that are super-tight and in need of the little orange ball to stand on; hips that feel like something deep inside is moving, but I can’t be sure what it is—but what’s different? I can’t tell by looking, and I can’t see any difference.
Our Digest of Global Feminist News and Opinion
16-year-old Muslim-American Kamala Khan is Marvel Comics’s new superhero, reflecting, as series editor Sana Armanat said in an interview, “the ever-changing world that we live in.”
Tatyanna McFadden Wins Grand Slam!
With her victory at the ING New York City marathon, wheelchair racer Tatyanna McFadden became the first athlete to win a marathon grand-slam, placing first at Boston, London, Chicago and New York in a single year.
by Krystin Tate
I sat in a gray, windowless space, a room typically used to observe children with disabilities. It doubled as the setting of something life changing – receiving test results I wasn’t sure I wanted. But it was too late to run as the genetic counselor handed me a purple folder, a medical Pandora’s box. “The results are positive,” she said, confirming my worst fears.
What she didn’t say, but I knew with a sinking feeling, was that the positive results indicated that my risk of breast cancer was as high as 87%. Barely less than a sure thing.
Think about it this way: if you were boarding a plane with an 87% chance of crashing, would you pray for that 13% chance of safety or high-tail it out of there? It sounds easy, right? But what if it wasn’t a plane crash you feared? That’s what I had to ask myself when I tested for the BRCA2 mutation. Everyone carries the BRCA gene, which works as a tumor suppressor, but when it is mutated it greatly increases the risk for breast and ovarian cancer.
Ms. Fit Editor Marcia Talks to the Author and Mutha Publisher
About two years ago writer, editor, activist, and counter-culture heroine Michelle Tea decided she wanted to get pregnant. Approaching 40, single and queer, she started chronicling her journey on JaneXO.com. Since then has met the love of her life, located the very best fabulous drag queen-sweetheart-volunteer sperm donor money can’t buy, navigated the labyrinths of the homophobic American healthcare system, and become Bob Villa to her own uterus while tackling fibroids, hormones, coffee reduction, IVF, and a rotating selection of vaginal discharge, among other challenges.
Currently, she and her gorgeous Dasheill are engaged, planning a wedding, preparing to implant Dashiell’s fertilized eggs in Michelle’s uterus, and hoping the odds get on board. Michelle has built it; will baby come? Recently Michelle launched Mutha.com in order to fill the void she saw for moms in alternative families—those who have experienced pregnancies or motherhood in ways that might fall outside of Leave it To Beaver. Ms. Fit editor Marcia Brenner spoke with Michelle about her journey and her thoughts on family.